Islamic Relief is continuing to work in Gaza following the Israeli ground operations, despite the increasingly difficult security situation.
Emergency food supplies has been purchased for Gaza’s smaller hospitals.
Islamic Relief reached its initial fundraising target of $3 Million. However, due to the ongoing crisis and severe need of further funds, the Gaza Crisis Appeal has been raised to $10 Million.
$270,000 worth of medical equipment has been purchased in West Bank and will be delivered to Gaza through the World Health Organisation’s coordination.
1st January 2009
The World Health Organisation (WHO) have been given permission to access Gaza on behalf of aid agencies, therefore Islamic Relief will be able to transport aid into Gaza with the WHO.
Today, 1000 additional blankets have been distributed to hospitals. Locally, food is available but to expensive for many to buy. We buy the food and distribute it in emergency food packs.
- Islamic Relief has confirmed that the passage of relief items through the Egyptian border to Gaza has been approved. Some relief items have already entered into Gaza through this route.
- Five trucks of medical supplies have been delivered to Gaza’s main Al Shifa hospital.
- The following medical tools have been delivered to the hospitals:Laporatomy sponges, Gauzes, VICRYL, Hypodermic needles, Splint Kramers, Latex sterille surgical gloves, Endotracheal Tubes oral and Bandage plaster of paris with quantities and various sizes.
- Islamic Relief hosted a coordination meeting with the World Health Organisation and all other NGO’s operating in Gaza to ensure effective response to the crisis.
Islamic Relief’s needs assessment team in coordination with the Gaza Ministry of Health have prepared the following list of the urgent medical tools and equipments needed.
- 1 mobile X-ray machine
- Maintenance of the existing 5 sterilization machines.
- 5 new central sterilization machines.
- 500 oxygen cylinders ICU beds, Fully equipped
- 5 Anethesthesia machines
- 100 syringe pumps
- 100 Infusion pumps
- 5 Operations tables with their lights for opening new operation rooms
- 10 Blood Gas machine with its converter
- 30 normal beds
- 5 Intensive Care ambulances
- Normal ambulances (where 40 % of existing are depreciated)
- More generators for the hospitals (KVA 200, KVA100, KVA 50, KVA 600)
- 5 Washing machines for clothes and other drying machines for Gaza Strip ICUs
- Emergency First Aid Kit £150
- Family Food Parcel £50
- Water Sterilization & Hygiene Kit £20
- Temporary Shelter £350
- Hospital Bed £1,000
- Baby Incubator £8,500
- Ambulance £28,000
- ICU Ambulance £50,000
Hundreds have been killed and injured following a massive bombardment of the Gaza Strip by Israeli fighter jets.
Aid workers report a scene of desperation in Gaza :
“This is the worst situation I have ever seen in Gaza. I visited a hospital and there were bodies outside and people crying. Buildings are totally destroyed. It’s really horrific. We are working now to get aid to the hospitals”
said Hatem Shurrab, Islamic Relief staff in Gaza .