Sunday, June 01, 2008

Don't give up!








There's still some light at the end of the tunnel.

I just paid the deposit for Giovanni Fusetti's workshop yesterday.Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous person whom I never meet in person yet willingly to lend some money to me to pay for the deposit.For that gesture, I am forever grateful to the person mentioned.

It means that I still have time until 15th July to see whether my grant application with KeKKWA will be approved. Should by then, I don't hear anything from the ministry, I can still defer my application to next year's session to be held in Summer 2009.Still, I am looking forward to go this year.RM15,000 all I need to realise the dream to study under one of the great theatre clowns in the world.

It was during the workshop conducted by Avner Eisenberg back in 2005, how I realised theatrical clowning can be used to tell stories and proudly promote the richness of Malaysian culture and heritage to the world after watching the "One Day in Her Life" by Hilary Chaplain who potrayed her Jewish culture through "bar mitzvah scene" in her performance. She had only used kitchen towel as props in that particular scene and it was very funny!

And this conviction to explore further the purpose of clowning beyond the hospital clowning towards promoting my culture and heritage was inspired after watching another fellow multi-talented clown, Iman Lizarazu who potrayed element of deep Basque's patriotisme in her scene. In her piece of work, she brilliantly told us the story of how her family had to leave their beloved Basque homeland and migrated to America only by using a rola-bola and technique of 'flash theatre' taught by Avner Eisenberg and Julie Goell.

Don't you think it would be interesting to tell the story of Pak Pandir or perhaps 'berkhatan' through theatrical clowning?

That's one of the reasons why I want to continue my clowning journey this year, Insya Allah!
"It's human to stretch, to go, to see, to understand. Exploration is not a choice,really;it's an imperative." - Micheal Collins, Apollo 11

No comments: